Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This is what happens when you marry a history nerd

Everyone has their idiosyncrasies. Some of us, perhaps, have more than others and they can range from the minute to the all out weird. Myself, I may be borderline OCD in a couple of respects (my music library, for example), and just plain determined on several other fronts. To the latter, I can add the convergence of historical ideas to present a scenario that drives my wife batty at times.


We already have a dog. He's a rescue and somewhere down the line before we got him he must have undergone some sort of traumatic experience because he's about as jumpy as a dog can be. He's settled down in the past couple of years, but he's still pretty high energy, something that is made worse by the fact that we live in a small apartment. Given these pre-conditions, we are quite a ways away from getting a second dog, but when the time comes I'm dead set on what type of dog I want. A vizsla (pron. Vee-shlah).


Sambuca, our current pet, is afraid of the camera.

My quest for a Vizsla.


Now you may be asking yourself, what's the big deal about a vizsla? Well, for starters, they are just really cool looking dog's. They're really intelligent and very trainable. While they are a high energy breed, they're also very good at just lazing around. The fact that they don't shed much is a bonus too. Usually, that's enough for someone to want a dog, right? Ok, here comes the geeky historian justification as to why this is the perfect dog.


How could anyone saw no to this face?

The vizsla is a hungarian hunting dog. In 1904, Arthur Griffith, an Irish politician, wrote a treatise called The Resurrection of Hungary. This served as a model for the first Sinn Fein political platform, something that would change in later years, but nevertheless, Griffith drew the connection between Ireland and Hungary, using Hungary as a model for political change. So I can justify to myself having an historically hungarian dog for this reason (not that one has to justify why they want a dog, but just let me have my idiosyncrasies).



To show how much I've thought this out, I've already picked out a name for my future dog. It has to be a male dog for the name to work, and again this harkens back to Irish history. The vizsla is a red dog, and looks like a hound (if you ask me, I don't know if there is an actual hound family, and if there is, if the vizsla is a member, but it looks the part to me). In Irish mythology the hero of Ulster (Cu Chulainn) is known as the hound of Ulster. The symbol for Ulster is a red hand. Combine those two things and what do you get? A red hound. Good enough for me. So obviously the dog's name has to be Cu Chulainn.
A good looking dog if I ever saw one.

Of course I tell all of this to my wife, and I get all geeked up while she can't do much but shake her head.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what took so long but I am just now discovering your blog and I have a couple questions.
    1. Can Buca live with another dog?
    2. What kind of nickname are you offering?
    3. Are you ready to explain to everyone that asks "Where's you come up with a name like that?" It'll probably get as tiring as "You want to teach?"
    4. Can I play with him too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid questions all.
    1. Yes. He should be fine. But he might be really old by the time I get my vizsla.
    2. I proffer "hully". The irish name is pronounced coo-hull-in.
    3. I've thought about that and now I can just give people a website to read. Two birds; one stone.
    4. Of course!

    ReplyDelete