Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do people actually like Circus Peanuts?

A recent foray into a Colorado hobby store prompted me to remember how gross Circus Peanuts are. My cousin and I went to the store to buy some model rockets, which are wicked fun I might add. As we were preparing to checkout my cousin quickly perused the candy near the checkout. Seeing that I am never one to deny my sweet tooth, I, too, took in the Hobby Lobby candy selection. As I scanned the available carbohydrate concoctions, I saw what I consider to be one of the grossest candies this side of black licorice: Circus Peanuts.



Not only do Circus Peanuts taste terrible, they have a gross spongy texture. You may be saying, "Well, duh. They're basically marshmallows." Well guess what, I'm not a huge fan of marshmallows either.

As we were checking out, I made a comment about how gross I thought Circus Peanuts. To my amazement, the woman working at the checkout said they actually sold a fair share of Circus Peanuts. Needless to say I was shocked. However, what she said next partially affirmed my sentiments on the red-headed step-child of the candy aisle. She said that one or two on occasion were not bad, but when pushed further she agreed that consuming an entire package in a short span of time would not be a satisfying endeavor. Of course, the problem with a marshmallow candy is that if you let it sit, it will quickly go stale.

What this anecdotal evidence suggests is that Circus Peanuts should be sold in 2 packs, and even that might be too great of a quantity. And because a two-pack of Circus Peanuts does not represent a sound production or marketing strategy, the folks at Brach's or whoever makes those hideous "treats" should simply cease production all together.

3 comments:

  1. Jason - Perhaps they can be used for as a healthy alternative to good insulation? Remember that part of the story? Also - I think we should have a "Peanut-Off" to see who can eat the most in one setting prior to puking. Ughggh...already feeling sick just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love circus peanuts and am actually eating them right now! haha i just cant eat a whole bag or anything because then I feel sick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ with the marshmallow comment. Circus peanuts are not, in my opinion, basically marshmallows. Or if they are, they are what marshmallows must taste like in Hell. Or if it turns out there is no Hell, then somewhere else really bad.

    ReplyDelete